Marny Elliott - My Personal Journey
Nurtured Heart Approach® Advanced Trainer and Spiritual Psychotherapist
My Personal Journey
Most importantly, I am a student of life, for life as well as a parent and partner. One who is relentless in reducing stress in my home, increasing connection, purpose and joy within my own family and supporting my children to build strong Inner Wealth™. I have become passionate about helping others navigate life, relationships and parenthood with as much joy as possible.
In my work as a Parent Coach and Relationship Counsellor, I find the most satisfaction in being a guide. Specifically, I want people to find the awareness, tools, support, and inspiration to create the lives they want.
- Fundamentally, we each know what is best and right for us. Sometimes, we just need help to find those answers and perhaps more importantly, support to take the action needed to create necessary change.
- At the same time, when we live behind walls built through our many experiences, we need assistance to break them down so we can move forward with courage.
- One of the most important things we can do for our children is to instill in them, a sense of believing in themselves. In other words, knowing the greatness they possess, helps them see the world as being a support to their path. Ultimately, they can trust that their inner strength is greater than any external circumstances.
I combine my professional training with my personal experience to provide education and coaching to anyone with children in their lives in addition to counselling for individuals and couples in the Comox Valley and beyond.
First and foremost, I am a person committed to my own never-ending journey of self-discovery.
Background & Credentials
After various roles at IBM Canada, I yearned for more meaningful work and found myself heading back to school to revisit my original interest in human behaviour that lead to my study of Psychology. Being drawn to work that included the human experience, the authentic self and each person’s own inherent wisdom to heal, I became certified in Spiritual Psychotherapy.
This fueled my healing as well as my desire to guide others to find their own way to let go of beliefs that no longer serve them, create new patterns of relating that bring connection and meaning and move forward with clarity, confidence and purpose.
My professional background, credentials and ongoing education includes the following:
- Certified Spiritual Psychotherapist graduating in 2008 from the Transformational Arts College.
- Nurtured Heart Approach® Certified Advanced Trainer since 2014 through the Nurtured Heart Institute (renewed every 3 years during an intensive 5 day training).
- Registered in Human Relations (R.I.H.R.) in good standing since 2014 with the Canadian Examining Board of Health Care Practitioners.
- Reiki Level 1 Practitioner completed in 2011.
- B.A. with a focus on Psychology graduating in 1989 from the University of Guelph.
- Working with Shame.
- Emotional Triggers.
- Conscious Loving.
- The application of NHA to adult relationships.
- Compassion-Focused Therapy.
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy.
- Nonviolent Communication.
- Attachment Theory.
- Attachment based, Relationship based, Positive, Conscious, Strength-based and Responsive Parenting.
- NHA as a Trauma Informed practice.
- Extensive training/experience in communication, leadership, group facilitation, conflict resolution and team building.
- Business Process design and implementation for over 15 years.
Parenting and New Learning
Becoming a parent, opened my world to a whole new range of emotions, depth of feeling ENTIRELY responsible for another human and the absolute truth that I had no idea what was ahead. It became increasing important for me to learn all I could to do my best at this most important role ever.
This, to me, meant having them feeling confident in their own ability to make the most of their lives and have a positive impact on the world and the people around them. A daunting task given a ton of parenting resources to sift through.
As a Parent Coach and Relationship Counsellor I want you to love what brings meaning and joy, let go of what can make life difficult and learn to know the difference. The resulting strong emotional foundation provides the clarity, calm and courage to elevate how we relate to ourselves and those around us.
Reflecting back, my life has been full of many joys, challenges and unexpected changes. I am grateful for these many opportunities to learn and evolve as a person.
Through the support of family and friends, I realize the importance of being surrounded by a strong network. In addition, my teachers, and therapists showed me the healing available within me and my relationships. Meanwhile, additional travels, courses, and connections have revealed the potential of the human spirit. Probably of most impact, the immense capabilities for growth and the fundamental pieces connecting us all. These physical and emotional adventures have had a profound effect on my understanding and acceptance of myself, people and the world around me.
Since 2000, I have been instrumental in guiding and supporting people through personal and professional change. Furthermore, kindness, compassion, integrity, respect, empathy, honesty, intuition, non-judgment, and patience are cornerstones of my professional practice and daily life.